Subscribe Now:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Blog Catalog

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My problem with religion

I am an Atheist, or as I like to refer to myself, an Apathist, because I just don't care about any religion. I was indoctrinated like so many other children even before I was old enough to go to school. Once I saw religion for the bullshit that it is, I started to examine the reasons for my growing dislike.

1: Most so-called christians have never even read their bible, or if they have it's only select passages. I have read it, including the utter tedium of the old testament, and have gone so far as to quote the bible to these people while they're struggling to make a point. Before you lecture me on anything, you better have backup to your rhetoric and bullshit, because I will.

2: The utter refusal to acknowledge the truth when it is presented. "Fossils were placed in the ground to test my faith." What ridiculous horseshit. If your faith is so easily tested, it can't be that strong to begin with.

3: Not practicing what you preach. If you lead by example instead of flailing around and slobbering derision on anyone who is different, you claim a much higher degree of credibility. So many fundamentalists get so wrapped up in the words of their fairy tales that they lose the intended message. So not believing in the same story makes me evil? Why do I have free will? Why is it so important to you to be able to tell me how to live my life? Every time some religious zealot gets caught with a prostitute, or doing drugs, or any of the other myriad things they condemn so vehemently, it just erodes their argument even more.

4: They insist on politicizing moral issues. Abortion, gay marriage, prayer in school, etc. These are all moral issues and shouldn't even be discussed by our elected officials. No one has the right to tell anyone else how to live their life. They say all they want is what's best for children, which is total bullshit. Anyone who protests at an abortion clinic should be forced to adopt an unwanted child and raise it to adulthood. Gay people have every right to be married and have that marriage recognized by the government. They want to define marriage as a bond between a man and a woman exclusively. I say if marriage is so sacred, make divorce illegal you fucking hypocrites. And I have news for you, as long as there are tests, there will be prayer in school. A "moment of silent reflection" is just bullshit Doublespeak for prayer, you know, like "intelligent design" is exactly the same as creationism. Until religious organizations start paying taxes, they need to shut the fuck up and stay out of politics, 'cause there's grown folks talking here.

5: Hiding behind religion to escape responsibility or culpability really pisses me off. Killing an abortion doctor in the name of "the Prince of Peace" is hypocrisy of the highest order. People reelected George W. Bush and his "Emperor's New Clothes" regime based on the fact that he professes to be a christian, when based on his actions he's actually a fascist cunt, which isn't really the same thing. "It's in god's hands" is such a fucking copout.

All right, that's enough for now, because I've worked myself up a bit and I don't have time for an embolism right now. Maybe I'll go to the gun range tomorrow and work off some steam.

No comments: